Each of our Photography Expeditions in India is a unique voyage of discovery presenting the opportunity to learn about photography whilst exploring some of the most remarkable places and events on the subcontinent.
Designed, planned and led by photographer Dariusz Klemens, the expeditions combine travelling with closely tailored tuition, and offer access to a wealth of spectacular photographic opportunities across a range of subjects, cultures and natural environments.
Inspired by assignments, years on the road, and a genuine desire to share the wonders and challenges of picture making, our photographic journeys are designed to enable you to discover new places with new eyes whilst assembling a body of images documenting your own, unique journey.
Though the places and events that we photograph during our expeditions are many and varied, we travel to them with the single purpose of inspiring every photographer who joins us to find new ways of seeing, enrich their understanding of photography, and develop a personal visual narrative of the journey.
Whether you are looking to develop or refine a portfolio of images; expand your experience in approaching and photographing different cultures, or want to creatively explore some truly wonderful places, our expeditions offer you the opportunity to further your knowledge of how to create distinctive images and build a coherent photographic narrative whilst partaking in an incredible journey.
To maximize our photographic opportunities and minimize our impact on the environments that we photograph, we travel exclusively in groups of maximum 6 photographers – this ensures that each participant receives the attention that they require to progress at their own pace and enables each group to travel unobtrusively, enjoying genuine contact with the places and communities that we photograph.
This is central to our and approach because our workshops are based entirely on real-life opportunities and structured to provide participants with continuous access to the same.
Limiting the number of participants also permits us to accommodate for varying degrees of experience within each group, so most of our workshops are well-suited and open to photographers of all levels. In addition, we offer advanced workshops for experienced photographers who are interested in refining their interpretative skills and exploring specific subjects in detail.
GeckoWorkshops Unique Photographic Journeys are the result of many years of travelling and making pictures – they are built around the expertise of Dariusz Klemens, a photographer with over 20 years’ professional experience, whose work is published extensively in books, newspapers and magazines worldwide.
Informed by Dariusz’s experience in photography and travel, many of our itineraries follow the routes of his favourite assignments in India, where Dariusz has been photographing consistently for the past two decades, for clients ranging from magazines to advertising agencies and book publishers as well as for his own projects.
Established in 2005, GeckoWorkshops Unique Photographic Journeys was born out of a desire to create singularly inspiring photography workshops in which travelling and taking pictures are ideally combined into a creative framework where photographers of all levels can gain experience in the decision-making processes that support the creation of meaningful images and underpin the development of photographic narrative.
All of our photographic journeys are created, planned and led by Dariusz Klemens. They are unique for many reasons – the top five are:
1. All our expeditions are crafted around best photographic interest and led by a professional photographer with extensive first-hand knowledge of each and every location and event that we photograph.
2. Every aspect of our journeys is determined by photographic potential. This means that, when you join one of our expeditions, every part your journey – from where you go and where you stay, to how and when you reach different locations and events – has been planned for its capacity to deliver the best, as well as the most, photographic opportunities in the time available.
3. Our method enables you to become immersed in your surroundings and anticipate the moment whilst remaining in full command of the technical skills needed to capture it. We achieve this through a combination of intense practical exploration of the medium and targeted feedback, which covers both technical and aesthetic aspects of photography and includes individual assignments, presentations, and group discussions.
4. Our photographic journeys give you the opportunity to develop a complete photographic story documenting your individual experience of the journey, or particular aspects of it. On all our expeditions, emphasis is put on assembling a body of images that is coherent in style and content. This enables you to return from each workshop with a photographic story that showcases your work (rather than a series of individual shots of, more or less, photogenic locations).
5. Our photographic journeys are truly inspirational. Built around solid photographic objectives, and travelling to witness remarkable places and events, our expeditions are authentic journeys of discovery that provide a uniquely stimulating framework in which to explore different cultures and refine your photographic skills. They attract photographers from different parts of the world, with a shared desire for adventure; this is reflected in our workshops’ atmosphere, where a genuine passion for photography and curiosity for travel converge to generate a singularly creative environment in which to experience the world and create images.
Our journeys are also a great deal of fun – a way of coming face to face with one of the oldest civilizations on the planet and creatively explore places of intense beauty and great cultural and historical interest in the company of a dedicated, experienced professional photographer, who considers his role as workshop tutor to be as important as his ability to craft professional images.
To learn more about what makes our approach to photography unique, please click here
GeckoWorkshops Photography Expeditions in India are true photographic adventures.
Timed to coincide with significant cultural or natural events that lend themselves to complex photographic exploration, our expeditions cover distinct areas of the Indian subcontinent, from the Himalayan region of Ladakh, in the far north, to the tropical forests of Kerala, on the shores of the Indian Ocean, in the south.
Each of our Photography Expeditions in India is unique and presents its own spectacular photographic opportunities; all run on intensive shooting schedules and are intended to foster an understanding of this vast and immensely photogenic country.
As the itineraries encompass an array of cultures, customs and environments within India, they form an excellent introduction to travelling and photographing on the subcontinent but are equally suitable for photographers who want to return to India further to explore particular aspects of this multifaceted land.
We believe in the creative incentive that comes from a focused approach. Therefore, whilst all our journeys in India offer access to a broad choice of subjects ranging from landscape to environmental portraiture, each expedition deliberately focuses on a particular theme.
This gives direction to the journey and the photographic opportunities that it offers, and creates a framework within which participating photographers can comfortably explore and construct different visual narratives.
In our experience, this approach facilitates learning, supports the development of cohesive photographic narratives, and increases not only the enjoyment of the journey but, most importantly, the sense of accomplishment that photographers derive from it.
Our photographic journeys on the subcontinent are informed by considerable experience. Over the last decade, we have accompanied photographers from all over the world on adventures as diverse as chasing the monsoon rains along the Malabar Coast of Kerala, crossing the Great Indian Desert in Rajasthan, and shadowing the easternmost arm of the Indian Silk Route in the trans-Himalaya.
India is a richly varied land – our familiarity with its customs and rhythms enables us to design engaging, well-paced itineraries, and offer specialised tuition in photographing religious ritual and people in their environment.